So the Oscars is happening, and I’ve spent a good few minutes channel surfing trying to look for it. I can’t seem to find a channel that’s airing it, and I’m starting to feel bad about it. I was anticipating the celebrities who would grace the red carpet, and I’ve got The Insider to blame for that. For the past couple of days, the show featured celebrities who have always emerged as the best dressed during red carpet events. The show is waiting to see who will make the hit or miss list this year, and I want firsthand info, too. That is, if I can find where the Oscars is airing now…
Almost everyone (at least, everyone who was present) is still on a high following the 7107 International Music Festival that concluded last week. There was a slew of local acts, but the highlights of the event happened on the final evening when Kendrick Lamar and no less than the Red Hot Chili Peppers performed onstage.
Social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram were abuzz with status messages and photos that gave blow-by-blow accounting of the goings-on at the festival.
Everyone was particularly gushing over the RHCP, and I really can’t blame them. With their signature energy level during performance and their awesome guitar solos (which probably were made better by way-huge-electronics effects at musicians friend), I’m quite sure everyone in attendance had the time of their lives.
Online retailing or online shopping is a type of electronic business that allows consumers to purchase goods or services from dealers via the Internet.
Based on some studies, there are an increasing number of incidences where individuals become victims of scams and con artists through online buying. Despite the risk that online shopping brings, it is still flourishing. Of course, merchants seek to alleviate consumers’ fears by improving security and creating a safe and secured way of buying online.
However, even after the security of online shopping stores has improved, it is still important to be aware of the dangers when purchasing online. Here are some guidelines on how to do online shopping securely.
How to Do Online Shopping the Safe Way
- Before buying, make sure you are aware of the nature of the business, location, and contact details of the online shopping stores. There are many online businesses that are well-known to the public, which means they are certified and trusted by many. If you are not sure about a certain online store, try to conduct a background check prior to your transaction. You can do a background check by reading reviews, comments about the site or asking your family, friends, colleagues for feedbacks whether they heard about the online store or not.
- Consider the online store’s billing method. There are online stores that have hidden charges. Sometimes, online buyers will be shocked once their credit card bill has arrived, due to the hidden costs from the online shop. To prevent all these, there are online businesses that require payment first before the item is delivered while there are online stores with the option to have the items delivered first before payment. Try to consider the second option; this will always be beneficial to the customer.
- A good and reputable online store manages to set guidelines and policies to help and inform consumers on how they gather private information and conduct transactions. Do not forget to read privacy policies and carefully examine whether transaction information is kept confidential.
- Be careful when typing vital information. To secure your order, type and review the correct details of your order such as the product code, phone numbers, and correct address before sending your order. Most unsecured purchases are caused by human error. Prevent this by typing the correct information needed by online store; pay attention to details and double-check your information.
- Never give your full identification. There is a handful of information required, but if the questions go beyond those that are usually required in online shopping, this can be a sign that the site is unsecured. Be wary, lest you want to fall victim to phishing scams.
Online shopping is a popular shopping method favored by many shoppers nowadays. This is why there is a higher chance of shoppers being more comfortable with immediate purchases. This can be the perfect opportunity for scam sites to gain information resulting in unsecured purchases and transactions. So how do you do online shopping securely? Follow the guidelines mentioned above for secure, easy, and doubt-free shopping.
On several of my blogs, I’ve posted different articles about prom dresses and special occasion dresses, which is really odd considering I never attended my prom.
There’s something about prom dresses that has always fascinated me. I don’t know what, and I don’t know why. All I know is that I will keep on posting about prom dresses, simply because they enthrall me.
Just like this infographic…who would’ve thought there’s a history behind prom dresses? More importantly, this one’s a good read probably because of the visuals and the way it was rendered overall. It’s very easy to understand, definitely not boring, and very interesting.
Presented By Ever-Pretty Dresses
In the past, buying a guitar that we have not seen nor touched was completely unacceptable. Today, the Internet has changed this practice because buying a guitar online is already possible by just visiting any shopping website.
The proliferation of online guitar auction sites suggests that many guitar lovers prefer the option of buying a guitar online. With the number of this musical instruments being sold each day proves that online guitar trading can also be a successful business venture. However, before you even consider dealing with online merchants, you need to make sure that you have the right information about the item you intend to buy.
Oftentimes, online sellers are not selling their personal items. They may be selling something that other people commissioned them to do the marketing, or the item may be something handed down whose history is quite vague to the sellers. That’s ok, really, because you can buy allen & heath zed 10fx used at guitar center. So handed-down items sold online shouldn’t come as a surprise. It is extremely important to ask the right questions to be sure that you are getting a good quality guitar out of a fair deal.
Manufacturer or Make of Guitar
Knowing the name of the guitar manufacturer can provide you with enough assurance that you are buying an item made by established names. If you are yourself a certified guitar connoisseur, you can readily judge the quality of the guitar if the online seller tells it is Yamaha-made. You can be sure that the musical instrument is solid, with a decent tone and reasonably priced. If the supplier quotes a Fender guitar, you can very well understand why it is more expensive. Once you know the name of the manufacturer, you can obtain an idea about the amount you need in order to purchase a guitar online.
Antique and rare items acquire more value as they age. The same principle applies with musical instruments such as piano, violin, and guitar. Especially with guitars, the tone matures as the wood ages thus knowing how old they are can help you decide whether to invest in an old or new guitar available online.
You can get all your money’s worth when buying a guitar online if you get something that is old and made by one prominent guitar maker. Your prized collection is far superior compared to all the new guitars of low quality.
State or Condition
In most cases, guitars that are being sold online are second-hand. However, there are also music stores that offer brand new guitars. Nevertheless, if you happen to stumble upon online dealers of second-hand guitars, you need to be very sure about their condition even without seeing them personally. The pictures may be deceiving, so there is the need to ask about maintenance and care of the guitar you have in mind.
Inquire about obvious defects such as dents and scratches. Although a new coat of gloss can hide scratches, dents can affect the quality of sound. There is no such thing as a picture-perfect second-hand guitar because there is always a hidden flaw somewhere. Unless it is very rare, you can bargain for a much lower price than the original tag.
Just like any online purchase, many risks are involved when buying a guitar online. First, you are dealing with a supplier who is totally unknown to you and, secondly, it means buying from him a guitar you have not seen nor tested. Once you have made a connection with any online supplier, remember to ask the right questions. Getting the information you want can help you finalize your decision to acquire a musical instrument, which you only get the chance to see for the first time once it is shipped to your doorsteps.
While it’s fun and enjoyable to learn how to play the acoustic guitar, it is not without its frustrating moments. Hearing the guitar play sounds out of tune is definitely one cause of frustration. Actually, when you first pick up a guitar, it’s nearly impossible to play anything on it that sounds good. Most new guitars are not properly tuned. Hence, even if you know the basic techniques to play a decent song, it would never come out right. Obviously, it’s important to tune acoustic guitar first before you’re able to play acceptable music. When a fine-tuned guitar and your guitar-playing skills combine, there’s no doubt that everyone would listen in awe.
Of course, if you’re new with your acoustic guitar lessons, it would be impossible to understand how tuning works and how it’s done. The first thing you need to realize is you need to tune your guitar each time you use it. Guitars have the habit of going out of tune on its own very quickly. Perhaps too much strumming on the strings can affect the tuning. Therefore, if you practice your lessons quite often, your guitar is bound to become out of tune. That’s why it’s important to tune your guitar regularly and as soon as you notice a difference in the sound coming out from it. You need not worry that tuning your guitar would take too much time, leaving you with little to devote to your lessons. It only takes a couple of minutes and if you were already adept with tuning, you’d be able to do it in a matter of seconds.
What else do you need to know about how to tune acoustic guitar? Well, if you were tuning the guitar for the first time, it would be a good idea to use another source for your reference pitch. You will use this source to set the initial pitch and work your way into tuning the rest of your guitar using that one note. In order to set the initial pitch, you could use a pitch pipe, tuning fork, a piano, another guitar, or any other options. The important thing is the source should be able to give you the perfect pitch, as this would set the tone of your guitar. You could also try the fret method, which is the time-tested way to tune your guitar.
The fact is there are sites that teach how to tune acoustic guitar online. However, for your benefit, here are the basic steps:
- Take your index finger and push down the sixth or E string found on the fifth fret. On the fifth fret, you would see a dot (marker). Make sure to play in the space between the two metal bars. It’s important to push down hard to produce a clear note. Afterward, compare the pitch of that note you played (this is usually the A note) with the fifth or A string played with open fingers this time (this means you would release your hold on the string). Obviously, when both actions produce different sounds, you need to adjust the fifth or A string.
- For the next step, you need to push your index finger down on the fifth or A string at the fifth fret (the D note) and change the fourth or D string to produce the same sound.
- Repeat the same procedure, playing the fourth string this time, which is still on the fifth fret (note G). You also need to tune the third string with open fingers until they sound the same.
- For the third string, you would hold your index finger down on the fourth fret (note B) and repeat the same techniques as in numbers one through three.
- Finally, play the second string on the fifth fret (we go back to note E), and do the same things as above while making sure the result produces the same sound.
If you find the above steps a tad complicated, you can always tune acoustic guitar tuner style. What does that mean? Well, there are electronic tuners sold in most music stores. Such a gadget can help you tune your guitar without difficulty. Nevertheless, if you feel strongly about tuning your guitar through hard work, then you can just use a tuner to fine-tune your guitar. With a fine-tuned guitar, you would be able to play the sweetest music.
The fashion world has long been filled with glitz and glamour. The ramp for models is always long, dramatic, and well lighted. The walk is certainly a walk for fame, fortunately for aspirants but sometimes leading to a walk for shame. Who is behind all these promises and/or even breakdowns? No less than the fashion designers.
What, exactly, does a fashion designer do?
With streaks of talent, creativity, and sensitivity, fashion designers, as if influenced by Rumpelstiltskin, craft accessory and clothing sketches. They usually concentrate in one nature of accessory or garment such as women’s or men’s apparels, swimwear, lingerie, children’s garments, handbags, and even shoes. They, sometimes, lead the groundwork of the creation and promotion of their creations.
Famous fashion designers prefer to be self-employed and they cater for the request of their clients. Some cater to high-fashion department stores or to specialty stores. They establish fashion statements by setting the colors, silhouette, and type of materials that are worn each season.
There are also some designers who are employed by manufacturers of clothes. These designers just adapt fashion statements set by other designers for the market. However, there are small manufacturers who just purchase or copy designs.
Both designers sketch unique garments and follow certain trends in fashion. Likewise, both need assistants who should get used to the fast-paced schedule of the fashion business.
In detail, these designers execute the following tasks:
- Draw their unique designs.
- Create patterns for sample garments.
- Choose textile and add-ons (accessories).
- Apply tailoring and basic dressmaking principles along with draping techniques and flat pattern works.
- Fit and alter the completed product, if necessary.
- Set-up a fashion show.
- Compare the performance of the merchandise against the competitors.
- Keep self up-to-date of latest fashion trends thru magazines and other fashion shows.
- Have frequent trips to fabric showrooms to keep self updated of latest type of fabrics.
Actually, fashion designers can be categorized as follows:
- Lead or Head Designers – They take care of the executive and creative tasks.
- Assistant or Apprentice Designers – They usually make patterns and sample garments. They may also teach sample makers how to make patterns and designer garments.
- Specialty Designers – They coordinate with other designers about special lines of garments.
- Costume or Theatrical Designers – They usually create costumes used in theater and movie productions on a contractual basis.
The foundations for their creations are their knowledge, skills, and abilities honed in fashion schools and trainings in the end.
- Basic Design – This refers to technical knowledge included in the creation and use of technical blueprints, drawings, plans, and models.
- Idea Production – This is the ability of designers to approach problems creatively and resourcefully.
- Dynamic Learning – This is being able to analyze implications of new information and materials at hand.
- Operations Scrutiny – This is considering requirements of products to execute a design.
- Uniqueness – This pertains to unusual cleverness vis-à-vis trying situations.
- Harmonization – This is being able to having good coordination with others.
- Visioning – This is being able to see how an organization works under real conditions.
The talents and skills of these artists are important in the fashion industry. Just as how a musician invests in equipment like the boomerang phrase looper at guitar center to be the best in his craft, the work of a fashion designer requires an eye for a striking creation and business management. Thus, aside from the portfolio of their usually creations, formal education help these designers acquire the secrets of the trade in this business. In fact, graduation from a college or school that provides training on fashion and design is highly recommended in the industry, to keep incoming designers updated on the advent of new techniques and technologies.
However, some leaders of this industry view vocational training schools and community college as more capable of producing competent artists because these institutions work along with clothing industries.
Vocational schools provide trainings in sketching, draping and grading, pattern making, garment construction, textiles and trimmings, costume history, principles of design and color; and how to plan and market seasonal fashion lines.
High school students inclined in fashion and design should finish basic courses in arts, sewing, mathematics, speech, English, and business.
Usually, vocational institutions provide a two-leveled program with certificate that is consonant to the degree in Associate of Arts. For those who want to enter the fashion field immediately, a first level certificate of proficiency is provided. The next level of proficiency, the second level requires a greater time of completion. Nevertheless, upon graduation, artists are considered competent enough to aim for positions as Assistant Designers. After all the necessary formal trainings and specializations, those who have the guts and high hopes spin gold fabrics!
School, obviously, is the one main vehicle where you can acquire basic and formal training. This is true to all fields and industries. As such, the fashion industry does not escape this reality.
You may have the talent and the unique sense for fashion but without structured training, you might fail to understand and explore more on your gifts.
Besides, one’s success in the field of fashion relies partly on your choice of school. In this article, we will give you the basic criteria you can use in exploring your options of fashion design school.
Cost – This is one of the main considerations that largely affect your choice of school. The sad truth with fashion design schools is that they are too few and among the relatively small number are the handful schools that can truly deliver efficient education.
As with many other things, low cost fashion design schools are good only if they can give effective learning. This is rarely the case though. Often, with lower fees, lower quality of education may be had. This is due primarily to the reason that such schools can’t afford higher paying professionals to provide them with manpower. Thus, they settle for people who can give service at a low price. Don’t let quality suffer over the limit of your budget. There will always be some well-performing fashion design schools to suit your means.
Area of Specialization – In the fashion industry, it is well recognized that one should have special fields where they are greatly inclined. This must be triggered or further supplemented by the fashion school of your choice.
The first thing you would want to do is to study the nature of the fashion design school. What fields does it cater? What courses does it focus on? What are their main emphases in delivering the art? These are among the many things that you should give intense consideration since the fashion design school that you will be choosing would largely influence your career later.
The best aid for your choice of school is to know its reputation. A self respecting fashion design school is one that makes itself renowned in the world of fashion. Does your school of consideration participate in fashion school competitions? This would be a sure mark of fostering excellence in the industry and the school’s commitment for brilliant education.
To maximize your strength, you must therefore find a school that focuses on your own field of specialization.
Considerations on the Curriculum – As with college education, you must also check into the curriculum offered in the school of fashion design. To get the best offered in your spectrum of choices, you can compare curriculum from various schools and decide what you think would best fit in your preferences.
Ratio of teacher to students – The size of a class against a teacher means two things – the school is either too popular or it’s the other way around. Nevertheless, the larger the size of the class the more likely would education suffer. It is often better to choose between schools of relatively fewer students since this will normally have the implication of focusing better on the students.
These are only some of the major points to consider in choosing your fashion design school. As for your final decision, your best judgment must out rule any doubt.
Fashion is where money is. The public has grown so obsessed with Hollywood that encourages the fashion industry to evolve on its lucrative growth. Instant popularity is at hand if you have the right combination of everything (say right choice of endorser, right choice of fashion ideas, innovative and creative sense of fashion, and the likes).
Nonetheless, the fashion industry is a hard business to penetrate. You must be equipped with the knowledge and influences that would provide you the maximum exposure you need to deliver your creations into the industry. Still, most of everything is commanded by your brilliance in designing that would give you center stage.
Your talent might be there. It is an innate property that can’t be stolen from you. It is in your own discretion though to let that talent turn into passion. However, talent and skills are not enough. You have to undergo formal instructions to be able to hone those special features and direct them specifically towards becoming the best of yourself.
This is the basic principle why fashion schools exist and continue to serve budding artists. They provide guidance and supplemental training to drive the artist to achieve with his creations. While online fashion schools have been gathering fame in the fashion industry, this still does not negate the fact that hands-on training and face-to-face instructions can’t be equaled even by the best online degree offers.
Since you are considering entering a fashion school, it is expected of you to be knowledgeable enough on the fundamentals of fashion designing and basic awareness on designing. However, this is not an implication that the student must produce ramp-quality creations initially. Instead, you are expected to bring out the brilliance in simple designs and create concepts that you may have patterned on the works of some great fashion designers or better yet, designs of your own concepts.
Remember that fashion designers only make name in the industry when they have produced something genuinely creative that can cater the present fashion sense while having the originality and good sense of distinction from other fashion trends.
You may not possess this nature for the moment. Nevertheless, an efficient fashion school could best bring out the brilliance in you and in your creations. Initially, you may be producing rubbish concepts but this would be set off with good learning you have acquired from a formal school.
Some people may contend that even without proper education, an artist can create fashion trends that will be embraced by the public. Yes, that might be true. Remember, though, that very few individuals have made it into the fashion scene with the littlest formal study. Besides, even the trends in fashion change. What may have been true before can’t be exactly true now. A formal schooling would update you of the most recent trends and the analysis of past styles that have recreated the industry.
A fashion school, like tertiary education, will help you seek out your niche. You might have creative ideas lurking in your mind but these free-flowing ideas would be turned into nothing if not properly directed.
Moreover, the experiences of instructors in the fashion schools would be passed down on you. Thus, you are less likely to fall into the same pitfalls they have arisen from themselves.
I wasn’t able to catch the telecast of the Grammys, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t give myself a dose of Grammy news. After all, that’s what the Internet is for.
Actually, more than the big winners for the night, I was more excited for the celebrities’ fab dresses. Fortunately, Insider had an episode where they featured the best and worst dressed during the Grammys. Of course, I opted to concentrate on the best-dressed list.
Here’s my short list, in no particular order:
1. Alicia Keys, who elegantly showed off her assets in an indigo Armani Privé floor-length gown in royal blue.
2. Taylor Swift, who literally glittered in a heavily beaded gown from Gucci.
3. Ciara, who was stunning, baby bump and all, in a slinky Pucci gown.
4. Pink, who wowed everyone with her red strapless, form-fitting Joanna Johanssen gown.
5. Katy Perry, stunning as always, was a delight to look at in a sheer Valentino gown with music notes at the bottom.
I’m sure that despite the high-tech equipment they used in the event, like synthesizers from the arturia v collection at musicians friend, which produced awesome music, heads were turned because of these lovely ladies who strutted their stuff on the red carpet.